You are currently viewing this course as Guest.
Anchor text in SEOLesson
- Anchor text is the visible portion of a link that is displayed within your browser.
- As a general principle of SEO, it is one of the most important aspects of on-page and off-page optimization.
- As with most aspects of SEO, there are many sides to this equation. Search engines like Google use anchor text to help determine the relevancy and importance of a given website.
- In the context of SEO, there are a number of different types of anchor text.
branded anchor text (e.g. Apple, Microsoft or Elite Strategies)
targeted anchor text (e.g. “payday loans” or “seo tutorial” or “iPhone charger”)
generic anchor text (e.g. “shop now” or “check it out”)
plain URL anchor text (e.g. “https://elite-strategies.com/services”)
The quality and amount of anchor text to use within your website is one of the main claims within the SEO community.
Too many targeted anchor texts for keywords could give Google a spam signal.
Too few and Google will have a hard time deciding what your website is about.
-What anchor text looks like
I love to talk more about my new iPhone 12.
<a href=”http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-accessories”>iPhone 12</a>
- Anchor text can contain links to your website's URL or to a website on another website.
- You want to make sure your anchor text is as important as possible , regardless of where your connection is pointing.
- Consider this scenario: both of these two sentences are the same, but one links to the intended keyword, the other links to a random expression.
- Try to avoid anchor text such as "click here" or "check it out." Using a raw URL, while there are some valid use cases, is typically frowned upon.
- Inside your link anchor text, Google also suggests using succinct text. This means not anchoring together or whole sentences with very long words.
- In general, when anchoring a connection, stick to 2-4 words.
- What is Anchor Text Over-Optimization
- Remember, SEO is all about equilibrium. With Yin and Yang.
- Your targeted keyword can't build every connection.
- Not only is this borderline a breach of the rules of Google, it is just plain dumb.
- Imagine if for "SEO tutorial" or "SEO guide" every link within this page was.
- Here are a few visual examples of over-0ptimization of anchor text vs "natural" placement of anchor text.
- Note that the first instance is an excerpt from a story, it has one link in about 4 sentences to a website.
- The anchor text is "natural" meaning.
-Anchor Text Analysis
- One perfect way to do an analysis of an anchor text is to run a tool like Ahrefs.
- Yeah, you would think Ahrefs is a backlink checker, but it can also check outbound links from your own websites and the anchor text inside them.
- The top 5 anchor texts from the 5 most common OBLs (outbound links) are analysed in this example.
The caveat to having a website as large as Slate is any problem you have scales at an extremely large level.
Being that Slate.com has links to Kindle reader, Android reader as well as other site-wide footer links, it offsets their anchor text distribution on a massive scale.
There are a bunch of other tools out there you can use to check your websites anchor text such as Majestic SEO and Moz.
-Anchor Text Definitions
Distribution of anchor text
- This term refers to how much the anchor text differs on a website.
- For example, if I have 100 links on my website and 90 of them say "SEO consultant" and 10 say "click here," my distribution of anchor text will be fairly poor.
- This may seem a little spammy and may raise some red flags to the quality algorithm filter from Google and may penalise your website.
Targeted anchor text:
- This term refers to a type of anchor text used in the construction of links.
- "If you are a florist and want to rate your target anchor text for" florist NYC "would be" florist NYC.
Variation of anchor text-
- The variation of anchor text relates to how much the distribution of anchor text differs throughout your current portfolio of links.
- From a Google penalty reduction point of view, having a significant amount of anchor text variance is normally a really positive thing to have.